Rainwater collection is an age old technology that is gaining popularity. Here are 10 reasons why you might want to consider installing a rain barrel.
- Most homeowners can save about 1,300 gallons of water during the peak summer months.
- Plants grow better in rain water than chlorinated water.
- You can use it to wash your dog.
- Rain barrels help reduce the volume of storm water runoff, which can help reduce drainage problems.
- Rain water is especially good for exotic plants inside your home.
- Save energy by decreasing the demand for tap water.
- No water spots when you wash your car. Rain water is soft and untreated.
- Wash off muddy boots and clean garden tools.
- Great for washing windows.
- You can paint your barrel so that it can match your house and landscaping.
The Clermont Soil & Water Conservation District is currently selling 50-gallon rain barrels for $80. The barrels come in granite and terra cotta colors and include a reversible planter lid that is decorative and functional. Click here for rain barrel specifications. If you are interested, call Clermont SWCD at 513-732-7075 ext. 2, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.