On Thursday, September 13, the Clermont Soil and Water Conservation District is celebrating 75 years of conservation with a diamond anniversary open house and dinner banquet at Shaw Farms, located at 1737 SR 131 in Miami Township. While tickets for the banquet dinner have sold out, anyone is welcome to attend the open house portion of the celebration from 5 to 6:15 p.m. and to vote in the Board of Supervisors election.
Open house festivities begin at 5 p.m. and will include music from Full Moon Ranch, a mobile aquarium from the Newport Aquarium, hayrides, children’s activities with area naturalists, and displays looking back at 75 years of conservation in Clermont County.
Soil & Water Conservation Districts rose throughout the United States following the Dust Bowl era in the 1930s. In 1943, the Clermont Soil Conservation District was the 13th district created in Ohio. Early efforts in Clermont County focused on drainage, erosion control, terracing, strip cropping and assistance with pond building.
In 1961, the District’s mission expanded to include water quality, as its name was changed to the Clermont Soil and Water Conservation District. Following changes to the Clean Water Act in 1987, a greater emphasis was placed on storm water programs, and in the 1990s and 2000s, Clermont SWCD initiated and strengthened water quality protection efforts in the East Fork Little Miami River watershed. Today, Clermont SWCD’s efforts place an emphasis on both building soil quality and reducing nutrient runoff from agricultural fields, managing storm water runoff in urban areas to reduce drainage problems and to prevent pollutants from washing into nearby streams, and working with members of the East Fork Watershed Cooperative to control harmful algal blooms on East Fork Lake.
Gene Derrickson Presenting the Outstanding Farmer Award to Mr. and Mrs. John Hardin in 1966