“Promoting the Wise Use of Our Natural Resources Through Service and Education”
A Brief History of the District
The Clermont Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) is a political subdivision of the State of Ohio, as authorized under ORC 901: 13 and 940. The District is located in southwest Ohio about 25 miles east of Cincinnati in Clermont County. The Ohio River forms our southern border. Clermont SWCD was established by local election of the Clermont County populace in 1943 to work with landowners to help address soil and water conservation issues.
In the early years, the District focused on working with the USDA Soil Conservation Service (now the Natural Resources Conservation Service) and farmers to control erosion, promote water quality, and enhance wildlife habitat on agricultural working lands. Over the decades, Clermont, like many other SWCDs, has become a multi-faceted agency that works with rural, suburban and urban landowners alike. The District provides technical assistance, grants and cost share funding, educational programming and other resources to landowners to help them address a diverse range of local conservation issues.
The District is governed by a board of five supervisors, who are residents of Clermont County and serve in a volunteer capacity. Funding to support District operations is provided by the Clermont County Commissioners and the Ohio General Assembly through the Ohio Soil & Water Conservation Commission. SWCDs also attract funds through grants, sales of conservation related items and donations.
To learn more about Ohio’s Soil & Water Conservation Districts, click here!